Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Final Project of Art 343

The article I applied into my project was Détournement/Culture Jamming from the series of reading Society of the Spectacle. My plan for the project was to mock the actual value of luxury goods and bring up the audience’s attention to the consumption problem. Since a logo is the primary symbol of a company, I decided to slight change the logos and put them on daily products as a construction. In summary, the project would be five separately installations. The luxury good company would be: Apple, Burberry, Coach, Godiva, and Swarovski.
Starting with brief introduction of the reading. Détournment, also called culture jamming, is a technique Situationists use for their practice. According to the article, Détournment/Culture Jamming written by Zack Malitz, changing the cultural image as a way of mocking is easier to bring up people's attention and stimulate them to think what the purpose is. Because people are often more aware to the things they are familiar with, a tiny change can certainly lead to a strong reaction. Détournment is one of the applications of Situationist. Speaking about Situationist, it was originally established as an organization named Situationist International in 1957. Even though it was dissolved after 15 years later, many artists are still practicing its core concept all over the world.
You can always see how the crowds are so crazy about luxury products in every selling season. However, you also see several times a day just how people waste the things they can purchase easily. Throwing unfinished lunch or pulling ten pieces of paper towels at once to dry hands then throwing them all to a trash can seems to be so "normal" that we do not even realize we are creating a serious wasting problem. On contrast, many people buy luxury products which have less benefit for daily lives, but they would put efforts to maintain the products' condition. That is, we treat necessity goods and luxury goods in the completely different attitudes. We care less about the things we need for everyday and over-concern the goods with more expensive price. Thus, the goal for my project is to make my audience be more aware of this problem.
Apple Products
Apple is one of the most influence companies that have led the world to the new age with touch-screen technology. Even though Apple keeps developing new products, most of they are just the devices containing same content but in the different sizes. Apple Products was a three-set installation. Apple logo was put on an apple and two bottles of apple juice. I want it to show the construction between what people waste (food such as apple and apple juice) every day and what we hardly see people throw them (Apple products) without any concern.
Furberry
Human has a long history of using animal fur as a way to insulate the body from coldness. However, it is now a symbol of showing a person's social status. In this October, an animal protection organization Four Paws launched an online activity against Burberry to save foxes from fur farms. I made three bands with Burberry logo and its classic pattern on them. Then I tied them around the fox plush toy's feet, tail and eyes. I thought the message in this installation was strong and easy to understand. However, the only problem was that the installation was kind of unique by itself. In other words, it was more like a single project compared to the other installations which still had a level of connection with each other.
A Pack of Coach
The Coach installation reflected the consumption problem of tissue. In every Black Friday, I go to Coach outlet just to help my friend's to buy bags. I often see people check out with lots of bags. Coach has a restriction policy about one person is allowed to purchase only ten bags for maximum at once. The limiting rule on luxury goods and the wasting of paper products were the inspiration for this installation, which was a poor-made Coach purse contained a stack of facial tissue.
Lady Godiva Riding on a Pony
The installation meant to be viewed in a joke. The pony doll I got was a toy from McDonald. Instead of the horse on the logo, a low-cost pony constituted a sharp contrast to the lady Godiva symbol that represented high quality chocolate. In order let people see it from any angle, I made an image of the backside of lady Godiva. I was really satisfied with that part while working on the project.
Swarovski's Rice
Swarovski has been famous for its glass figures and other jewelry products. Because its logo has a fog-like effect at the posterior side of the swan, I used rice for an attempt to mimic it. At the final, I also spread glitter on top of it so the image looked more like a glass products. This was the most time-consuming works and my most favorite installation among the others. But fortunately, the feedback from my audience wasn't good as I expected. Perhaps the connection between rice and glass figures was too hard to be figured out, since rice is not exactly the staple food in the U.S.

During the final critique, I was suggested to make a performance video which was like throwing an Apple into a garbage can while playing with my iPad, in order to allow people to receive the message more easily. But after thinking about it for a while, I still considered the installation was a better way for my project. I wanted the message just popped out in front of my audiences' eyes, no matter if they got it immediately or not. I wanted them to figure out by themselves. On the other hand, I made my project with less-abstract content so the audience could understand what it's about by thinking slightly. I hope when people saw my installations they could start to concern about the wasting problem of necessity products in this country. But my final goal was to make people use necessity goods more moderately.

No comments:

Post a Comment