Friday, September 12, 2014

Project 1: Appropriation

        The project is a collage. It was done by the pictures of a book which I got it for free from a donation box and the painting purchased from a thrift store. The message of my work is just showing how generations change human lifestyle and the society. At the left and right side of the bottom I used two different building images to contrast the way people lived in the past and present. Also, the old people at the back and the two children in the front brought out the meaning of generation. The original painting was an ocean painting. To me, ocean is the primary place that creates most of the lives on Earth. Therefore, I think it's a good representation to show the concepts of life, changing (evolution), and generation.


        These are the photos that I put my work back to another thrift store. I had stayed in the store for a while just to see what might happen to my collage. Sadly, I saw a guy bought some paintings but not mine. It still stayed on the shelf when I left the store.



        If you are interested in what the tiny letters I put on mean, you can keep reading it. Just for fun, I made two ciphers to someone who would buy my collage. The numbers on the fan are just a simple substitution cipher, replacing letters by numbers based on alphabetical order. It is used as a key to solve the second one, which is a Vigenere cipher. Those crazy letters are the cipher text.
So...this is the message I really said to the buyer: [please highlight to see]
3-15-12-12-1-7-5 = COLLAGE
VVLSKYJQFMFYORIWE = THANKSFORBUYINGIT

No comments:

Post a Comment